Greensboro artist crafts Bonsai trees from steel
GREENSBORO, N.C. — Howard Bemus is a classically-trained Bonsai artist who creates “trees you can’t kill” out of metal.
Bemus has always felt an artistic calling. He studied art in college and worked in commercial photography for many years.
When photography moved into the digital realm, Howard felt it was time for a change. He became interested in the art of Bonsai and moved to Florida to study under a master. There, he learned to create the shapes and textures of real trees that he would eventually translate through his sculpture.
It wasn’t until he took a job at a friend’s metal shop in Greensboro that he realized what he was meant to do. He discovered welding and began experimenting with the scraps of metal left over from each day’s work.
You can find out more on his Facebook page.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- 3 arrested, 1 sought in Davidson Co. kidnapping, assault