Pittsboro Mayor Randy Voller elected as NC Democratic Party chairman
DURHAM, N.C. — North Carolina’s Democratic Party voted in a new leader as Pittsboro Mayor Randy Voller was elected chairman.
NBC17 reported that Voller beat former U.S. Rep. Bob Etheridge for the spot by a vote of 309-298.
Democrats told NBC17 they hope having the small town mayor will help them broaden the party’s appeal with rural voters.
Voller will succeed David Parker. Parker was criticized in 2012 for his handling of a sex scandal involving a top party official and a party staffer.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Video captures suspect stealing items from baby's grave