Pittsboro Mayor Randy Voller elected as NC Democratic Party chairman
DURHAM, N.C. — North Carolina’s Democratic Party voted in a new leader as Pittsboro Mayor Randy Voller was elected chairman.
NBC17 reported that Voller beat former U.S. Rep. Bob Etheridge for the spot by a vote of 309-298.
Democrats told NBC17 they hope having the small town mayor will help them broaden the party’s appeal with rural voters.
Voller will succeed David Parker. Parker was criticized in 2012 for his handling of a sex scandal involving a top party official and a party staffer.
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting