Police identify driver killed in tractor-trailer accident on I-77 in Yadkin Co.
YADKIN COUNTY, N.C. — The driver of a tractor-trailer that crashed on I-77 southbound at mile marker 79 has died.
Police have identified the driver of the truck as 40-year-old James Griffith of New Bern.
The accident closed southbound I-77 for several hours on Thursday morning.
As of 12:30 p.m., one southbound lane was open.
The Elkin Tribune is reporting the victim was a driver for Super Service tractor-trailer.
Kevin Manning, who lives in Georgia, told the paper he was behind the truck when it swerved off the road, struck a guard rail and crashed into a concrete barrier at the Highway 21 overpass.
Police have not determined what caused Griffith to drive off the road.Submit Your Photo
- Jeremy Mayfield's $1.3M mansion to be burned down
- Man tricked into thinking he's been in 10-year coma
- 13 arrested in drug busts in Yadkin County, surrounding counties
- Texas teen gets probation for deadly DWI collision with 'affluenza' defense
- $50M awarded over birth defect after test said baby would be OK