Police identify driver killed in tractor-trailer accident on I-77 in Yadkin Co.
YADKIN COUNTY, N.C. — The driver of a tractor-trailer that crashed on I-77 southbound at mile marker 79 has died.
Police have identified the driver of the truck as 40-year-old James Griffith of New Bern.
The accident closed southbound I-77 for several hours on Thursday morning.
As of 12:30 p.m., one southbound lane was open.
The Elkin Tribune is reporting the victim was a driver for Super Service tractor-trailer.
Kevin Manning, who lives in Georgia, told the paper he was behind the truck when it swerved off the road, struck a guard rail and crashed into a concrete barrier at the Highway 21 overpass.
Police have not determined what caused Griffith to drive off the road.Submit Your Photo
- 40 people arrested across NC for human trafficking
- The real story behind the 'train selfie' and the man kicked in head by 'conductor'
- Why were huge military planes flying over the Piedmont today?
- Judge tells convicted killer 'I hope you die in prison'
- Lexington man killed in accident on I-85 in Davidson Co.