Caleb Moore dies, snowmobile star was 25
(CNN) — Snowmobiler Caleb Moore has died after a serious accident at the X Games in Aspen, his family confirmed on Thursday.
Caleb Moore, 25, was competing in the snowmobile freestyle final in Aspen, Colorado, when he came up short while trying to do a back flip. The front skis of the machine clipped the landing hill and Moore shot forward over the handlebars. The 450-pound snowmobile struck him as he slid down the hill and the machine tumbled over him.
“He will be truly missed and never forgotten,” his family said in a statement. “The family wishes to express their deep gratitude for all the prayers and support they have received from all the fans, friends and family around the world that Caleb has inspired.”
The family declined to release any other details of his injuries.
It is the first death in the 17 years of the Winter X Games.
‘People of Walmart’
Faces of Meth
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- 3 arrested, 1 sought in Davidson Co. kidnapping, assault