U.S. 421 reopens after fuel truck overturns
CLEMMONS, N.C. — A tractor-trailer hauling gas overturned Wednesday on U.S. 421 around 12 p.m. near the highway’s exit to Lewisville-Clemmons Road, closing the highway in both directions.
The accident happened at Mile Marker 243 near Reynolds Rd and Lewisville-Clemmons Rd.
Officials said the driver of the tanker went off the road to the left, struck a guard rail and came to rest upside down.
The driver was injured and taken to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center for treatment. His condition is unknown at this time.
The cause of the wreck has not been determined.
Officials said the tank ruptured and leaked an undetermined amount of fuel onto the highway.
Hazmat crews are on the scene to assist with the clean up.
Northbound US-421 traffic was diverted at Lewisville-Clemmons Rd. and southbound traffic was being stopped at Williams Rd.Submit Your Photo
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Baby born Tuesday is largest hospital has seen in over a decade
- Woman admits to stealing toy from child's grave, explains why she did it
- Tenn. girl wakes up for school, finds parents dead inside home