World Series Game 2 starts at 7 p.m. on FOX8; pregame show begins at 6:30 p.m.
Click here to donate to the Salvation Army Hurricane Matthew relief effort

NC man credits dog with saving him from house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Spike (Credit: WSOC)

Spike (Credit: WSOC)

CHERRYVILLE, N.C. — A Cherryville man is crediting his dog for saving him from a house fire Wednesday morning.

WSOC reported that Bobby Whisnant said Spike’s barking, along with a smoke detector, woke him up after a fire that started in his home.

Whisnant was reportedly asleep in his room in the front of the house on Dallas-Cherryville Highway and Spike was in the kitchen in the back of the home.

The fire reportedly started in a bedroom between them. Whisnant said the flames broke out sometime after his roommate left the house.

“When I got up and opened the bedroom door, a ball of fire hit me in the face. I singed and all that up,” he said, according to WSOC.

Firefighters said smoke and flames were pouring out of the house when they arrived.

Read more: WSOC.