Newsmaker: High Point Mayor Bernita Sims
HIGH POINT, N.C. — High Point’s newly elected mayor may be small in stature, but she’s a big influence.
Bernita Sims is soft-spoken, but well spoken—and many who underestimate her, usually end up being shocked—just ask the candidates who ran against her last November.
She defeated all of her opponents last November by getting 33% of vote—and is now the first African-American mayor in the history of High Point.
One of her goals as mayor is to set up commissions that focus on promoting youth and families, millennial generation and arts and culture.
Sims also works as the night manager of one of the many hotels along Highway 88.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Video captures suspect stealing items from baby's grave