Buckley Report: North Carolina’s Silicon Valley
You can look at any of the two dozen cities in North Carolina, and they’re all dealing with the same challenge of how to replace the industries of the last generation.
In Greensboro and Burlington, much of the prosperity came from textiles. Winston-Salem thrived on tobacco.
Furniture manufacturing took precedent in High Point and other cities west of the Piedmont.
Many of these cities have found ways to reinvent their economy, but none have done so quite like Lenoir, where tech companies, like Google have opened up shop, meaning more jobs for the economy.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Video captures suspect stealing items from baby's grave