GRAHAM, N.C. — A student at River Mill Academy reportedly saved her teacher last week by performing the Heimlich maneuver when he started choking.
The Burlington Times-News reports 42-year-old Jon Weis, a computer instructor, took a bite out of a biscuit when he started choking.
“It was very scary,” Weis told the Times-News. “I was not getting any breath at all.”
One of Weis’s students, 16-year-old Emily Thouin, quickly grabbed him from behind to perform the maneuver, which dislodged the food.
The Times-News reports Thouin, who hopes to become a nurse, has been taught the Heimlich twice — once in an American Red Cross class and a second time in her 9th-grade health class.
Thouin tells the paper her training “just kicked in” without her thinking.
Read more: TheTimesNews.com