5 killed in Rowan County wreck, including 2 children
SPENCER, N.C. — Officials said a fifth person was killed in a car wreck Friday in Rowan County, according to The Charlotte Observer.
Authorities said the wreck occurred around 8:10 p.m. at South Rowan Avenue and 11th Street in Spencer when an SUV struck a tree and caught fire.
Two of the fatalities were children, according to Capt. Chris Warr with the Rowan County EMS.
Warr said nine people were in the car. He said the vehicle was on fire when crews arrived on the scene.
Patients were airlifted to area hospitals.
The driver, 28-year-old Angela Monique Dunlap of Spencer, was among those killed. Her 10-year-old daughter, Da’ja Cathcart, also reportedly died.
Family members identified the other victims as Sean Javan Jacobs, 25; Karizma Nicole Sexton and Vincent Eugene McNeal, 38.
Read more: The Charlotte Observer.
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- Kids react to a Walkman, make everyone feel old