5 killed in Rowan County wreck, including 2 children
SPENCER, N.C. — Officials said a fifth person was killed in a car wreck Friday in Rowan County, according to The Charlotte Observer.
Authorities said the wreck occurred around 8:10 p.m. at South Rowan Avenue and 11th Street in Spencer when an SUV struck a tree and caught fire.
Two of the fatalities were children, according to Capt. Chris Warr with the Rowan County EMS.
Warr said nine people were in the car. He said the vehicle was on fire when crews arrived on the scene.
Patients were airlifted to area hospitals.
The driver, 28-year-old Angela Monique Dunlap of Spencer, was among those killed. Her 10-year-old daughter, Da’ja Cathcart, also reportedly died.
Family members identified the other victims as Sean Javan Jacobs, 25; Karizma Nicole Sexton and Vincent Eugene McNeal, 38.
Read more: The Charlotte Observer.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants