1865 baseball card to be auctioned, could reach $100K
A rare 1865 baseball card will be auctioned off in Maine next month and six-figure bids are expected.
The rare 148-year-old baseball card that was discovered at a yard sale in rural Maine, the Portland Press Herald reported on Wednesday.
A man found the card “by chance” in a photo album he bought while antique picking in the small town of Baileyville on the Canadian border.
It’s not the same as a modern baseball card, which became commonplace beginning in the 1880s. Instead, it’s an original photograph from 1865 of the Brooklyn Atlantics amateur baseball club mounted on a card.
The photo/card is so rare that it’s one of only two known to exist. The other is in the Library of Congress.
The card shows nine players gathered around their manager.
Read more: Portland Press Herald
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Baby born Tuesday is largest hospital has seen in over a decade
- Woman admits to stealing toy from child's grave, explains why she did it
- Tenn. girl wakes up for school, finds parents dead inside home