Winston-Salem man charged with robbing two banks
Joshua Cardell Newell, 23, of Winston-Salem.
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Officials say a man accused of robbing two banks was arrested after he crashed his car while fleeing police Monday in Winston-Salem.
Joshua Cardell Newell, 23, of Winston-Salem, allegedly robbed the BB&T at 2710 Peters Creek Parkway Monday and the Southern Community Bank at 3151 Peters Creek Parkway on Oct. 11, 2012.
He allegedly entered the BB&T around 7:30 a.m. with a mask and handgun demanding money.
Police say Newell took an undisclosed amount of cash and ran out of the bank. He allegedly got into a car parked nearby and tried to flee.
Police say he sped off and crashed into an embankment on Old Salisbury Road near Brewer Road where he was arrested.
Officials said no injuries occurred during the robbery or the single vehicle wreck.
Police say Newell was charged in connection with both the bank robberies.
Officials say the suspect was placed in the Forsyth County Jail under a $300,000 secured bond and has court planned for Jan. 25.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Man catches massive 805-pound shark, won't share his secret
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants
- 'Ice Road Truckers' star accused of kidnapping prostitute, threatens to kill her over $1k