Black iceberg photo posted on Reddit, goes viral
A photo of a black iceberg has gone viral after it was posted on Reddit.
The photo was posted by user Rundboll on Friday. The post has received over 1,000 comments and was featured on the front page.
According to The Canada Encyclopedia, most icebergs are white except along freshly calved ice cliffs, which tend to appear blue.
“Others may appear green, brown or black, or combinations of these colors. These icebergs have usually rolled over, exposing basal ice, or have emerged from below water level. The various colorations are caused by differences in density, air-bubble content and impurities. For example, black ice is of high density and bubble free; dark layers indicate the presence of rock materials derived from the base of the parent glacier. Occasionally, rocks may be found on the original upper surface of the iceberg. As the iceberg melts, these materials precipitate into marine or lake sediments.”
Faces of Meth
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Baby born Tuesday is largest hospital has seen in over a decade
- Woman admits to stealing toy from child's grave, explains why she did it
- Tenn. girl wakes up for school, finds parents dead inside home