On Thursday morning, FOX8’s Shannon Smith will speak with April Hartsook, a personal trainer who is showing off some winter workouts designed to get you moving without the need for a gym.
Pounding the Pavement
As the name would imply it is utilizing a parking lot, parking spaces, curbs, parking lot islands, hills and flat surfaces of the asphalt to create a bodyweight training workout. Cardio movements designed in conjunction with utilizing everyday cardio intensive, fat burning exercises (burpees, jumping jacks, jump ups, sprints,) to create an effective jam packed, in your face, kick butt workout. Eliminating the need for equipment, and taking away all your excuses.
- 10 reps Skaters, Run down and back
- 10 reps skaters, 10 reps Sumo squat twist,s, Run down and back
- 10 reps skaters, 10 reps Sumo squat twists, 10 burpees, run down and back
- 10 reps skaters, 10 reps Sumo squat twists, 10 burpees, 10 reps jumping jacks, Run down and back
- 10 reps skaters, 10 reps Sumo squat twists, 10 burpees, 10 reps jumping jacks, 10 high knee jump ups, Run down and back
REPEAT 3 ROUNDS (SETS)
Taking 300 feet of sidewalk and turning it into a torturous routine of jam packed, leg burning, cardiovascular screaming, workouts designed to burn fat, build muscle and make you remember me tomorrow! By incorporating the cracks in the sidewalks as measurements, I have incorporated, long jumps, squats, lunges, (uphill stop and start sprints) targeting fast twitch and slow twitch muscles and increasing the blood flow and oxygen levels to the cardio system and to the muscles themselves.
20 long Jumps, 15 Deep Squats, 10 walking lunges uphill, Run 3 full out sprints (25 yrds) walking back after each sprint
5 rounds (SETS)
STEPS, STAIRS, SPRINTS…Incorporate a set of stairs (either inside the home, or outside, downtown, Wake Forest Ketner Stadium, local school stadiums…etc) By designing and utilizing step ups, stairs and sprints, we effectively target 3 areas. The cardio system in which sprint workouts have been proven to reduce cholesterol and decrease high blood pressure when monitored over time, along with the increased work on the major muscle groups like the quads, hamstrings and glutes, all the while demanding that the Core muscles activate in order to carry the body weight up the stairs and up and down on the jumps.
- 25 step ups (on a curb)
- run up and down a flight of stairs ONCE (or high knees in place 30 sec count)
- 1 SPRINT DOWN AND BACK AS FAST AS YOU CAN (25 yrds)
- 50 step ups (on a curb)
- run up and down a flight of stairs 2 times (or high knees in place 1 minute count)
- 2 SPRINTs DOWN AND BACK AS FAST AS YOU CAN (25 yrds)
- 75 step ups (on a curb)
- run up and down a flight of stairs 3 times (or high knees in place 90 seconds count)
- 3 SPRINTs DOWN AND BACK AS FAST AS YOU CAN (25 yrds)
- 100 step ups (on a curb)
- run up and down a flight of stairs 4 times (or high knees in place 90 seconds count)
- 4 SPRINTs DOWN AND BACK AS FAST AS YOU CAN (25 yrds)
- repeat 3 Rounds (Sets)
CORE Crazies ™
By designing and incorporating one piece of equipment ( a bookbag, a rock, a log, a bottle of water) to target every major muscle group, it promises to be a workout you will never forget! (the great thing is you can use anything heavy that is a non bounce, not fragile or likely to injure oneself of others ) when thrown, tossed, lifted or slammed! This demands the activation of all core and back muscles, when lifting, throwing, tossing up in the air, slamming down on the ground, throwing and trying to hit your trainer who is screaming at you to give one more!!!! (LOL) Use the CORE Crazies™ workout as a filler in between other cardio workouts that raise the heart rate and burn the fat!
- 10 slams with object in hand ( or simply pretend) to hit the top of table
- 20 twists with object in hand over each shoulder ( or simply pretend)
- 30 slams with object in hand overhead as if hitting a brick wall
- 40 throws with object in hand up into the air (squat and pretend)
- 50 slams with object in hand ( or simply pretend) to hit the top of table