MOUNT AIRY, N.C. – Henredon Furniture, a division of Furniture Brands, announced it’s closing the Mount Airy plant putting more than 100 employees out of work.
A company representative says the closure is due to consolidation the Mount Airy factory with a plant in Long View, just outside of Hickory.
“It saddens me that it’s going to be closing,” said Mount Airy resident Faye Nations who knows many people who work at the plant. “For years and years we’ve always been a big factory town and to see all these close little by little, – it really hurt.”
Company officials says the jobs will be fazed out over the next several months.
A Furniture Brands spokesperson has released the following statement:
- Yes, we can confirm the announcement on the closure of the Henredon plant located in Mount Airy, NC.
- We are transitioning the work in this plant to another Furniture Brands plant, which is located in Hickory, NC area.
- The transition will take several months.
- There are a little more than 100 workers affected by this transition. All of these workers are being provided severance packages and Furniture Brands is working with the North Carolina Division of Employment Security to assure that all associates who quality for re-training via the TAA training program receive any available benefits.
- With this transition, there will be a variety of open positions available in the Hickory, North Carolina area for associates who wish to relocate.
- Furniture Brands is implementing our strategy to create more efficiency in our manufacturing operations, which is better for our company and our customers.