22 left homeless after apartment fire in Winston-Salem

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.--- 22 people including some children aren't allowed to sleep in their homes. 

A fire tore through an apartment building in Winston-Salem around 4 o'clock Wednesday morning. 

Eight units were damaged including Terina Lee's. 

"It was very scary. When I came down and looked at it it was engulfed. I just imagine if I would have been in that room. I wouldn't be here right now," says Lee.

Neighbors were banging on doors waking up renters and telling them to get out of their places. 

"They were like, 'Fire, fire, fire.'  When we opened the door it was like we all got to get out there's a fire," explains Lakedra Bullock, who is displaced because of the fire. 

Firefighters say the fire at the Enclave at North Point apartments started because a renter left food unattended on a stove. 

Renters spent most of the day trying to figure out what they can salvage. 

"I lost everything that was in my bedroom. I have no bed to sleep in," explains Yendemer Jessup, a displaced renter. 

Jessup's apartment was right next to the apartment that started the fire.  The roof caved in and destroyed much of Jessup's belongings.  

 'It's sad.  I've never been in a situation like this.  You hear about it and I just thank the Lord I was able to get out and my apartment was the one connected to her," explains Jessup.

Renters have caution tape blocking them out of their homes while they try to figure out where to go. 

"I don't know what I'm going to do, where I'm going to go or stay. I didn't know what to do," says Jessup. 

Some renters are staying with family members others like Lee and her two kids are staying in a hotel. 

"All this stuff is just materialistic, just as long as everybody's got their families, that's the main thing," says Lee.

A dog was trapped inside one of the apartments and died. 

No renters or firefighters were injured. 

The Red Cross is assisting some families.