2 dead after shooting at New Year’s Eve fireworks show in California
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (CNN) — A shooting at a New Year’s Eve fireworks show in Sacramento, California, where thousands had gathered, killed two people and wounded at least three others, police said.
The shots rang out in Old Sacramento, when a fight at a sports bar spilled out into the street, police said.
Some 40,000 people, including families with young children, had gathered for the 9 p.m. fireworks show, CNN affiliate KOVR reported. Witnesses reported hearing the shots and running for cover.
Police canceled the next fireworks show, which was scheduled for midnight.
Police have not released information on arrests. Witnesses who spoke to KOVR said they saw a man being taken into custody.
“They had one person in an ambulance and one person in a cop car,” a woman told the station.
“I saw the gun in the hand. He was just screaming and shooting,” said another.
A helicopter flew over announcing the cancellation, and authorities responded with mounted police, squad cars and fire trucks to block off the crime scene, according to KOVR.
The wounded were taken to nearby hospitals, police said.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child