Hunter who was fatally shot in Sanford was Fort Bragg soldier
(Photo courtesy, WTVD)
SANFORD, N.C. (AP) — Authorities say the hunter who died after being shot in Lee County was a Fort Bragg soldier.
The Fayetteville Observer reports that 26-year-old Staff Sgt. Robert Devitto joined the Army in 2005 after graduating from high school in Pennsylvania and served tours in Korea, Iraq and Afghanistan.
Friends found Devitto on Dec. 18 with buckshot wounds to his face and chest after he didn’t return home from duck hunting alone on state wildlife game lands. He died three days later. His death is being investigated as a homicide.
Devitto is survived by his wife, Jaimi Devitto, and his parents and sister who live in Shippensburg, Pa.
A service will be 4 p.m. Friday in Greencastle, Pa. Burial with full military honors will be Jan. 9 at Arlington National Cemetery.
This article was written by The Associated Press. (Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Baby born Tuesday is largest hospital has seen in over a decade
- Woman admits to stealing toy from child's grave, explains why she did it
- Tenn. girl wakes up for school, finds parents dead inside home