Westboro Baptist Church petition now has over 250,000 signatures
Nearly 250,000 people have signed a White House petition that would label Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group.
The petition was created at petitions.whitehouse.gov after Westboro Baptist Church members announced plans to picket a vigil for children killed in the Newtown, Connecticut school shooting.
The petition, which was created on December 14, has received over 250,000 signatures, making it the largest online White House petition in history.
As of 12:15 a.m. on Thursday, the petition had 259,000 signatures.
Online petitions at whitehouse.gov need 25,000 signatures before they are reviewed by the administration.
From the petition:
“This group has been recognized as a hate group by organizations, such as The Southern Poverty Law Center, and has repeatedly displayed the actions typical of hate groups.
Their actions have been directed at many groups, including homosexuals, military, Jewish people and even other Christians. They pose a threat to the welfare and treatment of others and will not improve without some form of imposed regulation.”
Faces of Meth
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Video captures suspect stealing items from baby's grave