HIGH POINT, N.C. --- A Piedmont family is homeless for the holidays.
Clint and Kimberly Clark were at the movies Sunday night with friends, while the couple’s two young kids were at their High Point home with a babysitter.
Around 10:30 a fire broke out in a bedroom.
“I was terrified. I’ve never been more scared in my life, the second I walked around that corner and saw that smoke my heart started racing. I panicked,” says Leia Kirk, the 21-year-old babysitter.
Kirk was able to get the two kids out of the house safely.
Within minutes Clint and Kimberly arrived.
“You don’t really know what you have until it’s gone," says Kimberly Clark, who lost her home in a fire.
The family lost everything inside.
Steve Snyder has known the Clarks for about five years.
He was at the movies with the couple and was with them when they saw their home.
“You look at burnt Christmas gifts, no kids should honestly wake up without opening a gift,” says Steve Snyder, a friend of the Clarks.
Snyder wrote a Facebook post asking the community to help the Clarks.
“This is what Christmas is all about. It’s not what you're receiving; it’s the spirit of helping others,” says Snyder.
A Facebook post, a few clicks and some shares brought out the Christmas spirit from friends and even strangers.
People have brought over piles of clothes for Clint, Kimberly, and their two kids.
Some people who don’t even know the Clarks brought over bags of games and toys for the two kids.
The Clarks aren’t able to spend Christmas in their own home and they’re staying with friends until they figure out what’s next.
“You always ask yourself why things like this happen to good people?" asks Clint Clark.
The Clark family believes the reason is a reminder that even bad things can become blessings. “It will make this time of year even more meaningful to look back,” says Kimberly Clark.