Investigators: Power strip caused deadly Winston-Salem house fire
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – Investigators say a malfunction in a power strip caused a Wednesday house fire that killed a mother and her son in Winston-Salem.
Family members identified the victims as Betty Roberts, 83, and her son, Bruce Roberts Jr., 57.
Investigators say the victims, who were both disabled, died of smoke inhalation.
The fire started just before 1 p.m. Wednesday at Jonestown Mobile Home Park, where Betty Roberts had lived for more than 30 years.
Investigators say the woman was found in a hall outside a bedroom. Her son was found in the kitchen.
Neighbors say they tried to help, but the fire spread quickly and became too intense. Firefighters said the home was fully-involved in flames when they arrived.
One neighbor who knew the victims for more than 20 years described them as “good people.”Submit Your Photo
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Remains of teens missing since 1971 found in submerged car
- Wu-Tang Clan affiliated rapper severs penis, jumps off building
- Woman shot dead while on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview