Body of missing NC girl found in pond
Kayla Campbell (WSOC)
MINT HILL, N.C. — Mint Hill police told WSOC they have found the body of 16-year-old Kayla Campbell in a pond early Thursday.
Police spent Wednesday evening draining a pond on Sable-Cap Road. The girl’s body was found around 12:15 a.m. Thursday.
The cause of her death and the circumstances surrounding her death will be the focus of the investigation going forward, police told WSOC.
Campbell’s parents reported her missing after she didn’t return home on Sunday.
On Monday, police found Campbell’s cellphone near a pond close to Pumpkin Way Drive where her mother said Kayla liked to take photos, according to WSOC.
Read more: WSOC
- Jeremy Mayfield's $1.3M mansion to be burned down
- Man tricked into thinking he's been in 10-year coma
- 13 arrested in drug busts in Yadkin County, surrounding counties
- Texas teen gets probation for deadly DWI collision with 'affluenza' defense
- $50M awarded over birth defect after test said baby would be OK