1. Make dough and royal icing
2. Roll out dough and cut out pieces
3. Show how to assemble a house
4. Show how to decorate a house
5. Show the houses from the baking classes
I made a Noah’s Ark with Noah and animals to show that you can do something different than just a house. I have the template for a manger too. I have some candy that we can decorate with and we’ll have colored royal icing as well.
Let me know if you want anything in addition to this.
Here are the formulas:
GingerBread Dough Recipe:
6 ¾ cups AP flour (29 oz)
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 ½ tsp. ginger
½ tsp salt
1 ½ cup Light corn syrup (18oz)
1 ¼ light brown sugar Packed (10oz)
1 cup Margarine (8oz)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Stir flour and spices into a large bowl
3. Combine corn syrup, brown sugar, and margarine in sauce pan.
4. Stir over medium heat until margarine is melted.
5. Stir liquid into the flour mixture.
6. Mix with paddle until dough is well mixed
7. Chill the dough until it becomes stiff and easy to handle
8. Roll the dough out to 1/8 to ¼ “ thick on Parchment paper
9. Using template cut the piece out on sheet pan
10. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown
11. Check for air bubbles during baking and poke them with a sharp knife or a tooth picks
Royal Icing Formula-
1 # Box powdered sugar
3 egg whites at room temperature or 3 Tbsp meringue powder/6to 8 Tbsp water
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
Sift powdered sugar. Place egg whites in mixing bowl. Add cream of tartar and sugar to whites while stirring. When all sugar is added, turn mixer to high and beat mixture until thick and very white. Mixture will hold a peak. It may take up to 7 minutes. When finished, cover icing tightly with a damp cloth or plastic wrap as it dries quickly and will form a crust.