NC Legislature even more full of newbies in 2013
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — The North Carolina Legislature seems to keep getting greener.
Two years ago, 44 first-time legislators arrived when Republicans took control of both chambers for the first time in 140 years. Now another 52 newcomers will arrive when the Legislature reconvenes next month.
Data from the North Carolina Center for Public Policy Research show the combined turnover after the 2010 and 2012 elections was the highest for a two-cycle period since the early 1990s.
The changes have been attributed primarily to redistricting and retirements.
Incoming Democrats and Republicans say they’re willing to contribute and want to encourage bipartisan cooperation.
Credit: The Associated Press.
- 40 people arrested across NC for human trafficking
- Why were huge military planes flying over the Piedmont today?
- The real story behind the 'train selfie' and the man kicked in head by 'conductor'
- Lexington man killed in accident on I-85 in Davidson Co.
- Judge tells convicted killer 'I hope you die in prison'