NC Legislature even more full of newbies in 2013
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — The North Carolina Legislature seems to keep getting greener.
Two years ago, 44 first-time legislators arrived when Republicans took control of both chambers for the first time in 140 years. Now another 52 newcomers will arrive when the Legislature reconvenes next month.
Data from the North Carolina Center for Public Policy Research show the combined turnover after the 2010 and 2012 elections was the highest for a two-cycle period since the early 1990s.
The changes have been attributed primarily to redistricting and retirements.
Incoming Democrats and Republicans say they’re willing to contribute and want to encourage bipartisan cooperation.
Credit: The Associated Press.
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Baby born Tuesday is largest hospital has seen in over a decade
- Woman admits to stealing toy from child's grave, explains why she did it
- Tenn. girl wakes up for school, finds parents dead inside home