Man shoots himself, sets home on fire near Elona
ELONA, N.C. (AP) — Investigators say a man found shot as his home burned may have caused all the damage himself.
Burke County deputies responding to a fire Saturday afternoon said the man told them he was shot by a neighbor.
The house near Elona burned down to the ground because officers wouldn’t let fire crews near because they thought they had an armed suspect.
But investigators say no one was found, and the man’s story didn’t add up.
Authorities now think the man shot himself and caused the fire when he tried to set off a crude shotgun made from a pipe.
Credit: The Associated Press.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Man catches massive 805-pound shark, won't share his secret
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants
- 'Ice Road Truckers' star accused of kidnapping prostitute, threatens to kill her over $1k