Man shoots himself, sets home on fire near Elona
ELONA, N.C. (AP) — Investigators say a man found shot as his home burned may have caused all the damage himself.
Burke County deputies responding to a fire Saturday afternoon said the man told them he was shot by a neighbor.
The house near Elona burned down to the ground because officers wouldn’t let fire crews near because they thought they had an armed suspect.
But investigators say no one was found, and the man’s story didn’t add up.
Authorities now think the man shot himself and caused the fire when he tried to set off a crude shotgun made from a pipe.
Credit: The Associated Press.
- Jeremy Mayfield's $1.3M mansion to be burned down
- Man tricked into thinking he's been in 10-year coma
- 13 arrested in drug busts in Yadkin County, surrounding counties
- Texas teen gets probation for deadly DWI collision with 'affluenza' defense
- $50M awarded over birth defect after test said baby would be OK