CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — An Episcopal congregation in Chapel Hill hopes to celebrate its 10th anniversary in a building that just arrived from its historic spot outside Winston-Salem.
The News & Observer of Raleigh reported the 121-year-old St. Philip’s Episcopal Church left Germanton on Nov. 29 and arrived Saturday in Chapel Hill.
It will now be the Episcopal Church of the advocate, serving a 9-year-old congregation.
St. Philip’s was completed in 1891. Its congregation disbanded in 1980, and about a year ago leaders of the Episcopal diocese in Raleigh made the building available to the Church of the Advocate.
A campaign to keep St. Philip’s on its historic site failed.
It will likely be next summer before the Church of the Advocate can hold its first service in the building.
Credit: The Associated Press.