9-year-old killed in Richmond County wreck
Jody Williams (WSOC)
RICHMOND COUNTY, N.C. — Police said a 9-year-old boy died and three others were hospitalized after a wreck Saturday night in Richmond County.
WSOC reported that Jody Williams was riding with his grandmother Emma Williams on Highway 74 between Walmart and Bojangles in Rockingham.
Officials say a car with two people inside of it ran into them as they turned onto another road.
Authorities say Emma Williams was airlifted to the hospital with serious injuries.
Witness accounts suggest that the car that caused the wreck was street racing with another car.
Family members say Jody Williams was a fourth-grader at West Rockingham Elementary.
“He’ll be missed a lot because he was a joy to everybody’s soul,” said Kay Clarke, Jody’s other grandmother. “He was a very active child, he was a loving child.”
Read more: WSOC.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Woman admits to stealing toy from child's grave, explains why she did it