9-year-old killed in Richmond County wreck
Jody Williams (WSOC)
RICHMOND COUNTY, N.C. — Police said a 9-year-old boy died and three others were hospitalized after a wreck Saturday night in Richmond County.
WSOC reported that Jody Williams was riding with his grandmother Emma Williams on Highway 74 between Walmart and Bojangles in Rockingham.
Officials say a car with two people inside of it ran into them as they turned onto another road.
Authorities say Emma Williams was airlifted to the hospital with serious injuries.
Witness accounts suggest that the car that caused the wreck was street racing with another car.
Family members say Jody Williams was a fourth-grader at West Rockingham Elementary.
“He’ll be missed a lot because he was a joy to everybody’s soul,” said Kay Clarke, Jody’s other grandmother. “He was a very active child, he was a loving child.”
Read more: WSOC.
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting