Giant catfish learn to hunt pigeons on land [Video]
The largest freshwater fish in Europe is the European Catfish, which can grow up 1.5 meters long. In one French river the invasive species has learned to hunt pigeons on land, according to a story in Discover Magazines ‘Not Exactly Rocket Science’ blog.
“These particular catfish have taken to lunging out of the water, grabbing a pigeon, and then wriggling back into the water to swallow their prey,” according to the report. “In the process, they temporarily strand themselves on land for a few seconds.”
This article was written by Matt Knight with news-gathering affiliate WTKR.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- 3 arrested, 1 sought in Davidson Co. kidnapping, assault