7 taken to hospital due to carbon monoxide poisoning at Winston-Salem church
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — More than a dozen people were reportedly affected by carbon monoxide poisoning Wednesday evening during choir practice and youth meetings at a Winston-Salem church.
Authorities say the incident was reported around 5:41 p.m. at Oak Grove Moravian Church on Hammock Farm Road.
Police said several people in the church complained of dizziness, however they did not have any information about what caused the dizziness.
Firefighters confirmed seven people were taken to the hospital to receive treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning.
About 13 others suffered from some extent of the poisoning, however they were not transported to the hospital.
The fire department’s investigation revealed “elevated carbon monoxide levels from a malfunctioning furnace,” firefighters said.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- 3 arrested, 1 sought in Davidson Co. kidnapping, assault