Building evacuated due to fire at UNCG
GREENSBORO, N.C. — Authorities say a grass fire prompted them to evacuate the Elliott University Center Thursday afternoon at UNC Greensboro.
The fire was reported around 12:30 p.m. in the 500 block of Stirling Street. Firefighters had extinguished the flames by 1 p.m.
While the fire did not spread to any buildings, Helen Hebert with UNCG says the Elliott Center was evacuated as a precaution due to smoke.
UNCG police say the fire may have started as a result of a discarded cigarette that was tossed into a bed of plants.
The fire did not cause damage to any buildings, police said.
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Baby born Tuesday is largest hospital has seen in over a decade
- Woman admits to stealing toy from child's grave, explains why she did it
- Tenn. girl wakes up for school, finds parents dead inside home