Building evacuated due to fire at UNCG
GREENSBORO, N.C. — Authorities say a grass fire prompted them to evacuate the Elliott University Center Thursday afternoon at UNC Greensboro.
The fire was reported around 12:30 p.m. in the 500 block of Stirling Street. Firefighters had extinguished the flames by 1 p.m.
While the fire did not spread to any buildings, Helen Hebert with UNCG says the Elliott Center was evacuated as a precaution due to smoke.
UNCG police say the fire may have started as a result of a discarded cigarette that was tossed into a bed of plants.
The fire did not cause damage to any buildings, police said.
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Remains of teens missing since 1971 found in submerged car
- Wu-Tang Clan affiliated rapper severs penis, jumps off building
- Woman shot dead while on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview