Coast Guard recovers body of missing Burlington fisherman
MOREHEAD CITY, N.C. — Authorities have recovered the body of a 57-year-old fisherman who went missing last month northeast of Morehead City.
The U.S. Coast Guard says the body of Burlington resident Bill Vestal was recovered on Sunday near Cape Lookout.
Vestal was last seen going underwater and not resurfacing while he was surf fishing Nov. 19 on the south end of Portsmouth Island. Crews began searching for him immediately but didn’t find Vestal.
A boater called authorities just after noon Sunday to report finding a body in the water. Officials identified Vestal after finding his wallet.
Credit: The Associated Press.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- 3 arrested, 1 sought in Davidson Co. kidnapping, assault