Black Friday alcohol sales surge at Va. ABC stores
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Black Friday discounts offered by Virginia’s Alcoholic Beverage Control stores were a hit with customers.
Figures released Wednesday by the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control show liquor and wine sales on the day after Thanksgiving were up 86 percent from the same day a year ago. Sales totaled $5.9 million.
ABC spokeswoman Rebecca Gettings tells the Richmond Times-Dispatch that the discounts allowed customers to buy premium brands for gifts and holiday entertaining.
A Virginia Beach store had the highest sales, $63,287.
This article was provided by The Associated Press. (Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child