Tar Heels flock to stores to buy Powerball tickets
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) –The historic Powerball jackpot has North Carolina players thinking about the ultimate Christmas present.
Wednesday’s drawing is offering at least $500 million, and officials with the North Carolina Education Lottery say the money has been a boon to ticket sales.
Lottery spokesman Van Denton said Tuesday that sales for the current jackpot have reached $28.1 million since the last winner on Oct. 6. Denton said sales for the three days prior to last Saturday’s drawing reached $5.2 million, which is the highest three-day take during the period.
The state sold $17.6 million in tickets on March 30, when the Mega Millions jackpot hit $656 million.
A single Powerball winner choosing the cash option would get more than $327 million before taxes.
Credit: The Associated Press
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Woman admits to stealing toy from child's grave, explains why she did it