Tar Heels flock to stores to buy Powerball tickets
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) –The historic Powerball jackpot has North Carolina players thinking about the ultimate Christmas present.
Wednesday’s drawing is offering at least $500 million, and officials with the North Carolina Education Lottery say the money has been a boon to ticket sales.
Lottery spokesman Van Denton said Tuesday that sales for the current jackpot have reached $28.1 million since the last winner on Oct. 6. Denton said sales for the three days prior to last Saturday’s drawing reached $5.2 million, which is the highest three-day take during the period.
The state sold $17.6 million in tickets on March 30, when the Mega Millions jackpot hit $656 million.
A single Powerball winner choosing the cash option would get more than $327 million before taxes.
Credit: The Associated Press
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Remains of teens missing since 1971 found in submerged car
- Wu-Tang Clan affiliated rapper severs penis, jumps off building
- Woman shot dead while on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview