The latest on kidnapping, sexual assault in Mount Airy
Robert Haynes, the suspect last week’s kidnapping and sexual assault at the Walmart on Hanes Mill Road, is now facing charges of robbery with a dangerous weapon, first-degree rape, first-degree sexual offense and first-degree kidnapping, according to the arrest warrant.
The warrant also states he took a purse, cell phone, money, credit cards, keys, personal identification documents and about $165 from the victim.
The victim also told police that the man claimed he had a firearm and verbally threatened to shoot her on multiple occasions
Last week, a female victim was shopping at the Walmart on Hanes Mill Road around 10:30 p.m., when she left her car unlocked while returning a shopping cart.
When she returned to her vehicle and drove off, she discovered a man hiding in the backseat.
The suspect then forced the victim to drive to the Mount Airy area, where he sexually assaulted her, according to authorities.
Sources close to the investigation say surveillance video shows the suspect followed the woman inside the Walmart while she shopped, then went to the parking lot to wait for her.
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train