NHL cancels All-Star game, season through Dec 14
(CNN) — The National Hockey League on Friday canceled the All-Star game and the regular season through December 14, as the player lockout continued with no collective bargaining agreement in place.
The announcement means that 34% of the season has now been called off, including the popular Winter Classic game. The season should have started on October 11.
“The reality of losing more regular season games as well as the 2013 NHL All-Star Weekend in Columbus is extremely disappointing,” NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said in a statement.
Social media was also abuzz with commentary.
“Since the lockout began, all Fridays have been Black Fridays for NHL fans. Everything is 100% off,” tweeted Adam Proteau, a reference to the shopping bonanza that follows Thanksgiving.
The last lockout of NHL players by the owners wiped out the 2004-05 season.
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Remains of teens missing since 1971 found in submerged car
- Wu-Tang Clan affiliated rapper severs penis, jumps off building
- Woman shot dead while on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview