2 charged after toddler beaten, sexually assaulted
TARBORO, N.C. (AP) — Authorities have charged two people after they say a 2-year-old child was beaten and sexually assaulted at a babysitter’s house in Tarboro.
The Edgecombe County Sheriff’s Office said 41-year-old Cirilo Torido-Bastida of Macclesfield faces two counts of forcible sex offense and one count of assault inflicting serious bodily injury. He is jailed under an $855,000 secured bond.
The sheriff’s office also said 20-year-old Chelsey Elane Speight of Tarboro is charged with accessory after the fact on all three counts and is jailed under a $355,000 secured bond.
A statement from the sheriff’s office said Speight was babysitting the toddler and her sister for a friend on Nov. 3. When the mother returned, the 2-year-old had been beaten. The other child was unharmed.
The toddler is recovering at her grandmother’s house.
Credit: The Associated Press
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- 3 arrested, 1 sought in Davidson Co. kidnapping, assault