2 charged after toddler beaten, sexually assaulted
TARBORO, N.C. (AP) — Authorities have charged two people after they say a 2-year-old child was beaten and sexually assaulted at a babysitter’s house in Tarboro.
The Edgecombe County Sheriff’s Office said 41-year-old Cirilo Torido-Bastida of Macclesfield faces two counts of forcible sex offense and one count of assault inflicting serious bodily injury. He is jailed under an $855,000 secured bond.
The sheriff’s office also said 20-year-old Chelsey Elane Speight of Tarboro is charged with accessory after the fact on all three counts and is jailed under a $355,000 secured bond.
A statement from the sheriff’s office said Speight was babysitting the toddler and her sister for a friend on Nov. 3. When the mother returned, the 2-year-old had been beaten. The other child was unharmed.
The toddler is recovering at her grandmother’s house.
Credit: The Associated Press
- 40 people arrested across NC for human trafficking
- The real story behind the 'train selfie' and the man kicked in head by 'conductor'
- Why were huge military planes flying over the Piedmont today?
- Judge tells convicted killer 'I hope you die in prison'
- Lexington man killed in accident on I-85 in Davidson Co.