Girl, 13, fatally shot on Miami school bus
MIAMI (AP) — Miami-Dade police say a 13-year-old girl has died after she was shot by another student on a school bus.
A male student is in custody and police spokesman Alvaro Zabaleta says investigators are talking to him. A gun was also recovered at the scene.
It’s not clear what prompted Tuesday morning’s shooting in Homestead, south of Miami.
There were about eight other students of a charter school on the bus, including the victim’s 7-year-old sister. None of the other children were injured.
The bus driver and the students have been taken to the police station to be interviewed.
Concerned parents gathered at the scene, which was cordoned off by crime scene tape.
Grief counselors were on their way to the charter school.
This article was provided by The Associated Press. (Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Update: Silver Alert canceled for Forsyth County woman
- Man catches massive 805-pound shark, won't share his secret
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants
- 'Ice Road Truckers' star accused of kidnapping prostitute, threatens to kill her over $1k