GREENSBORO, N.C.- A proposed ordinance wants tighter security at Greensboro’s bars and nightclubs.
The Entertainment Facility Use Ordinance would require bars and nightclubs with 150 patrons or more to have a set number of trained security guards at the place.
“We’ve had cases where people are fleeing from gunshots and that’s a problem, and we have recognize that,” says Greensboro City Councilman Zack Matheny.
In the past three years, there have been more than 6,300 emergency calls made from bars and nightclubs in Greensboro.
84 of the calls were violent crimes; three were murders.
“You’ve got the police saying, ‘Hey we’ve got a problem here,’” explains Matheny.
Mike Carter has owned Syn and Sky since last summer, since then he says his place has played by the rules.
“We do everything they ask of us, everything by the books. Then there’s still always something that they want to get more and more involved with and tell us what to do,” explains Carter.
City leaders have been working for about three years to come up with an ordinance that works for the city and for business owners.
They say it’s all about safety. Carter says it’s overstepping their boundaries.
“It’s just going to kill everything. It’s going to kill profit. It’s going to kill my desire to do any business or think of opening any business in Greensboro. I’ll gladly go to Winston,” says Carter.
The council will hear from concerned businesses on November 29.
A decision could come as early as the end of the year.