Maryland leaving ACC, will join Big Ten
Maryland Football (AP)
NEW YORK (AP) — Maryland is set to announce it is joining the Big Ten.
The Big Ten Network tweeted that it will cover the school’s news conference Monday afternoon to announce Maryland’s decision to leave the Atlantic Coast Conference. It will become the 13th member of the Big Ten.
Rutgers is expected follow suit by Tuesday, departing the Big East and making it an even 14 in the Big Ten. The move for both schools is not expected to take effect until 2014.
ESPN.com first reported that the University of Maryland board of regents approved the move Monday.
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Watch WWE's touching tribute to The Ultimate Warrior
- 79-year-old 'Britain's Got Talent' dancer stuns Simon Cowell with her moves
- 'Blood moon' timeline: Event will be a sight to behold, weather permitting