Surry Co. couple charged in death of 5-month-old
Justin Wayne Barker, 32, and Billie Jo Floyd, 30.
DOBSON, N.C. – The Surry County Sheriff’s office arrested a Mount Airy couple Friday night after the death of a 5-month-old baby in their care.
Billie Jo Floyd, 30, and Justin Wayne Barker, 32, were each charged with second-degree murder in the death of Floyd’s child.
EMS was called to Barker’s residence to a report of an infant on cardiac arrest on Friday, according to Sheriff Graham Atkinson,
The Sheriff’s office was also dispatched to the scene.
“By the time officers arrived paramedics had left with the child and were administering CPR,” Atkinson said. “The baby was pronounced dead at Northern Hospital of Surry County.”
Injuries on the baby’s body raised concerns and after further investigation the decision was made to charge the couple.
Officials said the cause of death is unknown at this time. An autopsy of the infant is scheduled for Monday morning.
Floyd and Barker are being held in lieu of $1 million bond each.
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Remains of teens missing since 1971 found in submerged car
- Wu-Tang Clan affiliated rapper severs penis, jumps off building
- Woman shot dead while on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview