Officials: NC teen with axe, machete damages up to 75 grave sites
Afdal Azam Ali Leach, 19, of Kannapolis.
CONCORD, N.C. — Authorities said a teenager found with an axe and machete accused of damaging up to 75 cemetery grave markers was arrested Thursday in Concord.
WBTV reported that Afdal Azam Ali Leach, 19, of Kannapolis, allegedly committed the crime around 11:30 a.m. at the city-owned Oakwood Cemetery on Church Street North in Concord.
An estimate of the damages was not provided.
Leach was charged with four counts of felony defacing or desecrating a grave site.
Concord Mayor Scott Padgett released a statement saying that the city empathizes with the family members and other loved ones of those whose grave sites were vandalized.
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Baby born Tuesday is largest hospital has seen in over a decade
- Woman admits to stealing toy from child's grave, explains why she did it
- Tenn. girl wakes up for school, finds parents dead inside home