Charlotte man sentenced for suicide attempt with child
Derrick Summers' 2-year-old girl (Photo courtesy, WSOC)
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — A Charlotte man has been sentenced to at least nine years in prison after police say he tried to kill himself on Interstate 77 while carrying his 2-year-old daughter.
Police say 30-year-old Derrick Summers walked into traffic Jan. 15.
Summers pleaded guilty Wednesday to attempted first-degree murder. He was sentenced to between nine and 12 years in prison.
Summers was hit by a vehicle, and he and his daughter suffered serious injuries. Prosecutors said Wednesday the girl is still recovering.
Authorities said Summers was trying to kill himself. Prosecutors said he had sent a text message to people earlier in the day saying he intended to kill himself and his daughter.
The child’s mother had filed a restraining order against Summers earlier that month.
This article was provided by The Associated Press. (Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Remains of teens missing since 1971 found in submerged car
- Wu-Tang Clan affiliated rapper severs penis, jumps off building
- Woman shot dead while on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview