Recipe Wednesday: Cajun Cooking
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — FOX8′s Shannon Smith on Wednesday was at the Meridian Restaurant in Winston-Salem to learn about Cajun cooking.
The Queen of Cajun Cooking will be in Winston-Salem for the 6 Days Festival. For more information on the event, visit 6daysws.com.
- 1 3/4 lbs. pork butt cut into 1″ cubes
- enough water to cover pork
- 1/2 C. chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 C. chopped celery
- 1/4 C. chopped bell pepper
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- 3/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 C. chopped parsley
- 1/2 C. chopped green onion – tops only
- 3 C. cooked rice
- Put pork, onions, peppers, celery garlic, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper in pot and cover with water.
- Bring to boil and reduce to simmer until pork is fork tender-about 1 1/2 hrs.
- When tender, strain ingredients and reserve cooking liquid using a meat grinder grind pork mixture into a bowl while still hot.
- Stir in rice remaining salt and cayenne and black pepper.
- Add reserved broth 1/2 cup at a time until mix is smooth and a firm paste is formed. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Form into balls, bread and fry.