Officials: Pilot Mountain fire about 95 percent contained
PILOT MOUNTAIN, N.C. — Officials say a fire that has burned more about 675 acres on Pilot Mountain is about 95 percent contained.
Charlie Peek with the North Carolina Division of Parks and Recreation says GPS mapping showed the blaze is smaller than the 800 acres that firefighters originally thought.
No injuries have been reported from the fire, which began Thursday morning as a prescribed burn. Some residents say they worry about breathing the smoke.
Peek says few active flames remain. Little active timber was burned because the fire’s intensity was low.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Video captures suspect stealing items from baby's grave