Mother reunited with son, 6 years after NC kidnapping
Edwin Sanchez Gonzalez
PITTSBORO, N.C. — Authorities say a boy whose father kidnapped him from his North Carolina home six years ago and fled to Mexico is being reunited with his mother.
Chatham County assistant district attorney Kayley Taber says the boy was handed over to U.S. authorities Friday, a month after Jorge Sanchez Aguilera was convicted of kidnapping and burglary. His sentencing is scheduled Dec. 10.
Prosecutors say Aguilera took his then-2-year-old son Edwin Sanchez Gonzalez on Oct. 1, 2006.
Aguilera and several masked men held the boy’s mother, her cousin and father at gunpoint and duct taped them to chairs. Aguilera was extradited from Mexico to Chatham County last year.
Edwin was taken into U.S. custody in Brownsville, Texas. Taber says his mother, Florentina Gonzalez Coria, flew to Texas on Friday.
Credit: The Associated Press.
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Remains of teens missing since 1971 found in submerged car
- Wu-Tang Clan affiliated rapper severs penis, jumps off building
- Woman shot dead while on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview