Maine votes in favor of legalizing gay marriage
Maine residents have approved same-sex marriage, giving the gay rights movement a breakthrough victory.
Gay marriage is legal in six states and Washington, D.C., but those laws were either enacted by lawmakers or through court rulings. In popular votes, more than 30 states had previously held elections on same-sex marriage, with all losing.
Maine, Maryland and Washington state were holding up-or-down votes Tuesday on legalizing gay marriage. Minnesota was voting on a proposal to ban gay marriage in the state constitution.
Credit: Associated Press
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Man catches massive 805-pound shark, won't share his secret
- Randolph Co. middle school employee accused of sending obscene images to teenage girl
- NC girl kicked out of prom for wearing pants
- 'Ice Road Truckers' star accused of kidnapping prostitute, threatens to kill her over $1k