Minnesota couple accused of starving adopted son
MINNEAPOLIS — Authorities say a Minnesota couple starved their 8-year-old adopted son so severely his bones protruded and his brain atrophied.
A criminal complaint filed last week charges Mona Hauer and Russell Hauer of North Mankato with six felonies, including neglect and malicious punishment of a child.
The complaint says the boy weighed less than 35 pounds when he was taken to the hospital.
He allegedly was given a liquid-only diet, and an alarm was on his door so he wouldn’t steal food. He told authorities he had taken rotting food from a compost site because he was hungry.
The adoptive mother told authorities they put the boy on a liquid diet because he threw up his food.
It’s unclear if the Hauers have an attorney. Their home voicemail was full Monday.
Credit: The Associated Press.
- This is why you don't take a selfie next to a moving train
- Remains of teens missing since 1971 found in submerged car
- Wu-Tang Clan affiliated rapper severs penis, jumps off building
- Woman shot dead while on phone with 911 for 13 minutes
- 24 people apply for 'World's Toughest Job,' get an emotional surprise at end of interview