FOX8 Friday Football Frenzy high school scoreboard: Week 2
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR DISH SUBSCRIBERS – SERVICE INTERRUPTION – CLICK HERE

Minnesota couple accused of starving adopted son

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Police stock photo

MINNEAPOLIS — Authorities say a Minnesota couple starved their 8-year-old adopted son so severely his bones protruded and his brain atrophied.

A criminal complaint filed last week charges Mona Hauer and Russell Hauer of North Mankato with six felonies, including neglect and malicious punishment of a child.

The complaint says the boy weighed less than 35 pounds when he was taken to the hospital.

He allegedly was given a liquid-only diet, and an alarm was on his door so he wouldn’t steal food. He told authorities he had taken rotting food from a compost site because he was hungry.

The adoptive mother told authorities they put the boy on a liquid diet because he threw up his food.

It’s unclear if the Hauers have an attorney. Their home voicemail was full Monday.

Credit: The Associated Press.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 86,766 other followers