Man charged with DWI after crash that injured 4 in Asheboro
ASHEBORO, N.C. — Police say a man is charged with driving while impaired following a crash that injured four people who were dropping off trick-or-treaters Halloween night.
The crash happened around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday on Old Castle Drive near Buckhorn Drive.
Police say two vehicles, a 2008 Nissan and 1995 Nissan, were stopped in the roadway with their lights on when a 2001 Mitsubishi driven by 21-year-old Michael Aaron Jenkins crashed into the back of the 2008 Nissan, which then crashed into the 1995 Nissan as a result of the impact.
Four people who were inside the two Nissans were taken to Randolph Hospital to be treated for injuries, police said.
There was no word as to the victims’ identities or exact conditions, however police say they were all treated and “eventually released” from the hospital.
The posted speed limit on Old Castle Drive is 35 mph. Police said Jenkins was driving approximately 70 mph before the crash and hit the 2008 Nissan at an estimated 50 mph.
Police say Jenkins’ Mitsubishi was seized because his license had been suspended for a previous DWI in 2008.
Jenkins is charged with DWI, driving with a revoked license, careless and reckless driving, and failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident. His vehicle was also seized.
While police said it is “extremely fortunate that (the) crash didn’t turn out any worse than it did,” Jenkins was “allowed to sign a $2,000 unsecured bond.”