Raw Video: Sandy dumps 16 inches of snow at Snowshoe Mountain
SNOWSHOE, W.Va. — Sandy on Monday night dumped 16 inches of snow on the Snowshoe Mountain Resort in West Virginia.
The National Weather Service was calling for another foot or foot-and-a-half of snow within 24 hours.
The resort was scheduled to open for the season on Dec. 8, but is now considering an earlier opening due to the new snow.
More than 128,000 customers in West Virginia were without power Tuesday morning.
Authorities closed more than 45 miles of Interstate 68 on either side of the West Virginia-Maryland state line because of blizzard conditions and stuck cars.
The State Highway Administration in Maryland says the higher elevations in the western state have gotten more than a foot of snow since Monday afternoon, and it was still snowing at 5 a.m. Tuesday.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save 2-year-old daughter during attack
- Two local schools make list of '10 Best High Schools in North Carolina'
- Mistrial in case against man accused of passing school bus, killing child
- Woman killed in wreck on southbound Business 85 in High Point
- Video captures suspect stealing items from baby's grave