Admitted NC scout molester worked at daycare
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — A former North Carolina scoutmaster not reported to police after molesting as many as 10 boys in the early 1970s went on to work for years at a church-run day care in Charlotte.
The Rev. Rush Otey confirmed Friday that Thomas Menghi Jr. worked as the office manager at Selwyn Presbyterian Child Development Center from 2002 to 2011 and was routinely alone with young children.
Parents at the daycare were shocked to learn of Menghi’s past after reading an Associated Press story in which Menghi admitted he abused scouts when he led Troop 786 in Fayetteville.
Otey said there were no such complaints at the day care.
A secret file on Menghi was among thousands from the Boy Scouts of America about sexual predators released last week by court order.
- Jeremy Mayfield's $1.3M mansion to be burned down
- Man tricked into thinking he's been in 10-year coma
- 13 arrested in drug busts in Yadkin County, surrounding counties
- Texas teen gets probation for deadly DWI collision with 'affluenza' defense
- $50M awarded over birth defect after test said baby would be OK